Wednesday, October 14, 2009

To begin ...


I decided the best way to get the ball rolling on this project, is to document all my sketches and ideas that will lead up to the dragon costume I will create ( I envision this as one project in a series of design projects I would undertake to examine my thesis aims) . I want to be able to document step by step, hour by hour all that takes place . If in the spirit of "Priesthood" I gather a few "Acolytes" the more the merrier. The idea of group work and forming of communities in 'mas camp' (where costumes are made) will also be developed and explored.


The idea is to create something from scratch and envision the space the body will soon occupy. Therefore paying attention to materiality, flexibility and movement. Also with the use of limited materials the folding and manipulation of the material ( paper or rigid fabric) will have to show the textures of the dragon costume and aid in animating the costume. Something that would usually be done with the addition of paint, glitter and sequins. I would like to explore costume making in its raw state, minusing all the layers of beads and sequins that cover up the body and structure of the costume itself. Whatever its framework, it is this arquitectonic costume space that the body occupies that will be examined.

No comments:

Post a Comment