Monday, December 7, 2009

The reason why

I remember the moment, the epic culmination like it was yesterday. In the streets of Port of Spain, South quay to be exact I waited amongst the band members in anticipation for the stage created ahead. Security formed a human link barrier, corking the bottled up energy of the masqueraders. We rallied ourselves with the chant and movements of the year's jumbie dance. It was a tremendous amount of excitement in the milieu of bodies and costumes.

"Jumbie, Jumbie dey... outta body back to yuhself! ....Dip in the center do the jumbie dance, lean back and reverse do the jumbie dance ..."

Fresh in my mind was the unison of bodies, arms and legs jumping and pelting about, following the instructions of the song than had left a spell over the masqueraders. We were ready to display ourselves , to play ourselves. The jumbie was ready to come out, every sense had brimmed and was now overflowing in a mess of sweat, feathers, rain and beads. Rushing forward toward the stage I remember the vibrations of voices, music and bodies that left me speechless, breathless and removed. Floating out of body I could see the chaos of the street below, in that moment I saw the sweet revelry of an island that I felt more than ever I belonged to . I held this moment wondering what it was ,why it happened and when again I could soak up this joyous experience. It is with this thesis I choose to find the answers to these questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment