Monday, November 2, 2009

So halloween just passed and in the excitement of creating my costume,I realized that this is the one holiday or event that can try to compare to what its like in the build up of carnival and preparing your costume.
I had more fun preparing my costume than at the party itself. I was mrs. pac-man and we went all out creating the giant yellow head. Supplies were boughts, sketches were made, and its varying pieces were cut out as neatly as possible, trying my hardest to have a costume that appeared well crafted and well thought of. I took great pride in the final product and was happy to debut it.
We made the joke that if we put this much effort into our thesis we would be out of here in no time. Its funny how creating something as silly as mrs. pacman consumed my every thought. I dedicated hours to its craftmanship because I wanted to impress others with its size ands well thought out detail.
What is this thing we experience when we create a costume that represents something that is not us? Why are we so dedicated to it?
I guess it only happens once a year, same as any festival such as carnival and thats part of its attraction. It comes and goes and leaves you longing for the next time you can have an excuse to enterntain yourself with the absurd.
Another point I would like to make is the disorienting factor of wearing the pacman headdress.
I had severe tunnel vision and it was frustrating and dizzying at times. I thought to myself most carnival costumes dont have this limitation and its with that, the excitement of wearing the costume was greater and more fullfilling. Most other costumes wearers were happy to sport spandex for majority of the night, not the most forgiving material when it comes to body appearances however the best for flexibilty and mobility. Most carnival costumes resort to the use of spandex or stretching fabric, not boxed in pacman heads . Its a freedom thing.However why is it that we are so terrified to wear spandex for the other days of the year but everyone is happy to sport it on halloween, not seeming to have any qualms about it .

This is just me thinking.

Also I've started a painting and almost finished a painting ... and in the name of "play" i've been experimenting with dripping paint and making a fun mess of things (of course still keeping with my usual style of painting, but kicking it up a notch :)). I'm liking it ... now I want to just work on bigger canvas. I'm working my way up. I'll show you soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment